
News from Yanbu!
It has been many months since I last wrote on my life here in Yanbu, Saudi Arabia. Rest assured, all is fine and peaceful. It is odd to say that I have fallen into a routine in such a different setting, but work, social and recreational activities with friends make the weekdays fly by.
Lots to share, but first let me respond to many inquiries I have had about all the changes, demonstrations and revolutions in the Middle East. None of these have directly been felt here – even though the local media has provided what I think has been accurate coverage of the events in Egypt, Lybia, Syria and elsewhere.
The Saudi people are content with, respect and admire their 86 year old King. I have compared him in some ways to Ronald Reagan, a well meaning and likeable person even if one does not agree with his governing. Although Saudi Arabia is a very, very conservative society, people are content with their degree of freedom and general well being – little poverty, for example because of the system of payments and free services to people for housing, education, health care. Of course, the one major exception in society is women. And although everyone expects that will change, little by little, in the future, there are no strong voices or movements.
There is a pride here that things are so stable and secure – and when there are public issues raised, even if the government does not change, they at least accept open discussion of most issues. So, as I have shared with some of you, my assessment is that Saudi Arabia will be the last country to be impacted by all the regional changes.
Despite my growing comfort level, my first trip to the U.S. in early April was wonderful from a family perspective and for reconnecting. It cannot be overstated that so many things in the U.S. (openness, foods, products, services, etc.) that we take for granted are far from routine here.
That being said, I will write my next entry about one of Saudi Arabia’s most hidden treasures – a world class architectural site from 2,000 years ago, Madi’na Saleh, where a group of us visited for a weekend. (Photo above.)
It has been many months since I last wrote on my life here in Yanbu, Saudi Arabia. Rest assured, all is fine and peaceful. It is odd to say that I have fallen into a routine in such a different setting, but work, social and recreational activities with friends make the weekdays fly by.
Lots to share, but first let me respond to many inquiries I have had about all the changes, demonstrations and revolutions in the Middle East. None of these have directly been felt here – even though the local media has provided what I think has been accurate coverage of the events in Egypt, Lybia, Syria and elsewhere.
The Saudi people are content with, respect and admire their 86 year old King. I have compared him in some ways to Ronald Reagan, a well meaning and likeable person even if one does not agree with his governing. Although Saudi Arabia is a very, very conservative society, people are content with their degree of freedom and general well being – little poverty, for example because of the system of payments and free services to people for housing, education, health care. Of course, the one major exception in society is women. And although everyone expects that will change, little by little, in the future, there are no strong voices or movements.
There is a pride here that things are so stable and secure – and when there are public issues raised, even if the government does not change, they at least accept open discussion of most issues. So, as I have shared with some of you, my assessment is that Saudi Arabia will be the last country to be impacted by all the regional changes.
Despite my growing comfort level, my first trip to the U.S. in early April was wonderful from a family perspective and for reconnecting. It cannot be overstated that so many things in the U.S. (openness, foods, products, services, etc.) that we take for granted are far from routine here.
That being said, I will write my next entry about one of Saudi Arabia’s most hidden treasures – a world class architectural site from 2,000 years ago, Madi’na Saleh, where a group of us visited for a weekend. (Photo above.)
My best to all of you… Rich
No comments:
Post a Comment