Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Keeping Up!


A friend from home recently inquired about keeping up with events at home and I responded “I was thankful for the Internet and streaming radio and video.”

I remember when traveling across Europe after college I would immediately seek out a newsstand in every new city looking for the International Herald-Tribune hoping that I wasn’t too late and they still had one or two copies for sale. If so, I was grateful that they were only one or two days behind on news and sports scores. Those were not the good old days for news and sports junkies like me.

Despite my choice to be without a TV here (38 of 40 channels are in Arabic – the two others being CNN International and BBC) I have no trouble keeping up with daily news while simultaneously streaming NPR. As everyone here says often, “no problem” keeping current here.

There are also two English language Arab news web sites I follow to keep up with affairs in the Kingdom. (If you are so inclined check out arabnews.com and Saudigazette.com.sa) They also carry AP news and U.S. sports highlights.
Not tough investigative pieces but surprising frank stories (recent items on women’s issues and criticizing service employees at the Jeddah airport during peak travel times).
And, for the first time since arriving, I bought a newspaper last week—the weekend edition of Gulf News – a good daily paper from the United Arab Emirates with a decidedly British focus, including extensive coverage of cricket in the sports section. Hard to believe there is that much to say about the game!

Listening also helps me minimize the miles from home. Thanks to those of you who have sent me e-mails – they are very much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment