
I have noticed when shopping there is no sales tax. While at work I also never hear any mention of property taxes paid by property owners or developers while discussing new projects. I found out why. Saudi Arabia does not have those type of taxes – instead they have “government dues” – which as best I understand is an income tax. Paying your “government dues” seems like a nicer term to make citizens feel like they are a part of the Kingdom! (Ex-pats like myself are exempt.)
Also of interest, I opened an account at the bank in the adjacent photo, SABB (which stands for Saudi Arabia British Bank). Pretty typical looking bank inside and out except that you take a number when you walk in. But, instead of standing in line, you sit in the center lounge waiting area for your number to flash up on an electronic sign to visit a teller or customer service person. No drive through tellers, but there is a drive thru ATM.
Later, when I called the bank’s 800 number to activate my ATM card, you will be happy to know the recording is in Arabic BUT then the voice says “press two for English.” So, as you find out, some things in Saudi Arabia are not really much different than home – just with a different twist. The sign behind the bank in the photo is for the area’s major chicken fast food chain, the Saudi KFC. I have eaten lunch their twice (before it closed for lunch during Ramadan) and the broasted chicken is quite good. The fries are about the same (i.e., mediocre) as you get at Burger King. They also serve two pieces of warm, pita bread and dipping sauce with every order. More than enough food for 15 Riyals (about $4).
Speaking of paying dues, one American I spoke with shared the routine he and his golfing buddies must use here for a round of golf. He belongs to the Yanbu Golf Club for $100 per year for unlimited play. He is part of a group of about 25 men that play year around several times a week. I noticed when I was driven by Yanbu’s one “golf course” it appears to be nothing but sand (desert - quite naturally). So I was rather surprised when he told me how and how much he played. There are putting “greens” consisting of dry, browned grass for each hole. However, to play, the golfers must carry around with them a piece of Astroturf type material. He held up his hands to show me that each piece is about 18 inches square. To play the course, they place the Astroturf-like “rug” on the tee, place their ball on it and then drive the ball. Then the player picks up their portable green Astroturf, carries it to where their golf ball landed and repeats until their ball is on the “green.” Americans have not lost their knack to be inventive – at least when faced with 18 holes of continuous sand traps.
No comments:
Post a Comment